Sunday, September 27, 2009

Macie can smile!!!

It's been 5 weeks since Macie was born. Throughout all that time I have been waiting for her to "come alive" and its finally happened!!!



She can smile!


Mom says Macie may just have gas- I think Mom needs to stop raining on my parade.

The beautiful weather we had been having came to a screeching halt and Summer is a thing of the past- some days it feels more like winter than fall. Mom is sad about the change, but mostly for vain reasons. She misses the way the sun feels (and looks) on her face, she misses my cute diaper tan that took me months in the sand to get, she misses tank tops and flip flops, and she fears that our days of lounging on the deck are over for quite some time. Each day I have to bundle up before I can go out and play. Most of my play toys have been moved indoors for rainy days, but I still like to run around the yard with jax.



On dry days Mom and I rake up the fallen leaves in the yard into piles. I love jumping in them and thrashing around. It's one of the few times Mom allows me freedom to make as much of a mess as possible.



Mom likes that she has discovered a new way to occupy my time while she is holding Macie.


The cold weather and rain has kept us inside often I have started to go stir crazy. Mom took me to the mall the other day to walk around and socialize with other kids, but she refuses to become a "mall walker" and informs me that it will not become a reoccurring activity.

Because I have been stuck in the house I have turned my attention to my new "toy", my sister. I want to help out with EVERYTHING and ALWAYS want to be by her. Mom and Dad are a little concerned because I can play a little rough. We practice being gentle, and I've been doing very well, but am still watched like a hawk and not allowed to be left alone with Macie.



Since I can't help out by myself yet, I practice with Grant and Reed. Here I am burping Grant after he finished his bottle.


After Macie's one month check up last week we discovered that she wasn't gaining much weight. Mom has been trying her best to give Macie as much food as she wants, but she doesn't seem to eat much (Can she really be a Frankwick if she doesn't have a BIG appetite???). On the 25th she weighed only 6 lbs 6 oz (only 5 oz more than her birth weight), so Mom was determined to feed Macie extra milk and fatten her up over the weekend.

On Monday we went to my new pediatrician for my 2 year check up. I got two big thumbs up, and am proud to let everyone know that I have moved into the 25th percentile for height in my age group!!! Though I am still only in the 3rd percentile for weight I have grown immensely. I am just shy of 24 lbs, and am 32 inches long. I had to get some shots at my appt. and acted like a BIG girl, crying only for a brief time. The best part was getting some nuggets afterwards as a reward for being so brave.

While we were at the Dr. Mom made an appt. for Macie the following day so that we could check on her progress. In the morning we were pleasantly surprised to find that Macie's new measurements far exceeded our expectations. The Dr. said she was 21 inches long and weighted 6 lbs 13oz. Way to go Macie!!! Not only was the Dr. proud of her gain in size, but she was pleased with Macie's development. She is tracking people by noise and sight, and is very alert! Mom can't believe how alert she is at 1 month compared to me- it must have been the extra 4 weeks Macie was "baking" (she jokingly says that I was Medium Rare when I was born and Macie was Well Done).



Recently my favorite time of day is dinner- not just because we get to eat,



but because we get to sit down and say grace.





I have many things to be thankful for (aside from Bunnies and Squirrels), and feel very blessed to have such a wonderful new baby sister. She is developing a great personality and I am eager to see what she will do next!