Thursday, July 15, 2010

CALIFORNIA!!!! Week One

The week preceding our trip to California was crazy. As Mom rushed to pack and prepare for our month long trip Macie and I kept each other occupied. Macie continued perfecting her crawl, and has become so darn fast that I always have a shadow following me through the house. Not only has Macie's speed improved, but her mouth is starting to resemble a shark's more and more everyday; her 2nd tooth came through and it looks as if 5 more aren't far behind. When our departure day finally arrived we were more than prepared for our flight. Dad helped us through security at the airport and once we boarded the plane both Macie and I were on our best behavior, sleeping, eating, and playing on command.

We arrived in California late on a Monday evening and Grandma Judy met us at the airport and was greeted with a loud "yowee-yow-hooee!" We went straight to her house at the beach and despite our excitement were forced to go right to bed. We woke up early in the morning ready to go out and play. While I was running through the sand, making castles, and playing in the water Macie soaked up the California sunshine.

Last time Macie was at the beach she was still too young to enjoy its allure, but this time she was all about it!



Check out how far Macie has come in the last couple weeks. She can hold a sippy cup and drink all by herself, and she can crawl really fast- especially when there is something she wants (in this case it's a bird).





We had such a great time at the beach that it was hard to break away and go inland, but we were eager to see Pa and the rest of the family so we made the sacrifice. Macie and I had a great time at the Umbargers with our family. I spent most of the time chasing the dogs around the house, while Macie spent hers doing what she does best- eating.

We didn't stay in San Diego for long; after two days we packed up the car and headed for Orange County to spend some time with Jeff and Susan and go to Disneyland (something I have been looking forward to for months). I was SO excited as we drove in to Huntington Beach, and shrieked as we pulled into our old neighborhood. It was far past my bedtime and despite my pleading Mom insisted that I contain my excitement for the morning and go straight to bed. Macie and I woke up with the sun, eager to see Jeff, Susan, and Charlie. After a morning full of food, toys, and fun we dressed in our Disney best and took off for the "Happiest Place on Earth" (Mom even made me a special Ariel tutu for the occasion.)


Pa and Debbie met us at Disneyland and we jumped right into the fun! We rode It's a Small World first and I serenaded Macie while she looked in awe at all the moving objects and bright colors around her.

As promised, we went to the Tiki Room with Pa and enjoyed the entertainment as the birds sang and danced to the music. Pa was happy that we went to his favorite attraction in the park.



After riding on Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan, and the River Cruise Debbie treated me to my first Mickey Ice Cream Bar.


Just as I was finishing up my Ice Cream a beautiful princess caught my eye- Mom cleaned up the chocolate all over my face and I ran over to meet Jasmine and Aladdin.



She was even more beautiful in person than in the movies, and was so kind to me. We danced together and talked like old friends. After spending time with her I took some of the dance moves she taught me and showed them off to the crowd.





I had an amazing time at Disneyland with Jeff, Susan, Pa, Debbie, Macie, and Mom. I got to drive a car with Pa, make new friends, put on a show, see a parade; I couldn't imagine anything that would have made it more fun.



We were exhausted after a LONG day at Disneyland and crashed AS SOON as we arrived at home. We slept in late the next morning thanks to the very comfortable accommodations at Jeff and Susan's. After making a quick trip downtown to the pier to say hi to some old friends we loaded up the car and headed back to Disney for some more fun!

We arrived at California Adventure early in the day and were able to tour the attractions in the park without crowds. One of my favorite things was meeting Tow-mater and Lightning McQueen.



After seeing a live show of the Little Einsteins and telling Big Jet to "go home" I got to meet Pluto!!!


Because Macie can't walk yet she was sort of confined to a stroller or any set of arms that could tolerate holding her for long periods of time (she can get heavy). Lucky for her Jeff and Susan helped Mom out a lot, and Macie was in heaven with all the attention. I have to admit, that Macie was quite a trooper as she didn't fuss over my dictating the events of our entire day.



Though the morning was filled with fun, inside I was bursting with anticipation for my upcoming lunch with the princesses. It seemed like the afternoon was NEVER going to come...

When 3:30 FINALLY rolled around it was time to eat with the princesses!!!!!!!!!!! I ran down the stairs of the restaurant as fast as possible and as I turned the corner there she was, sitting there waiting to meet me: ARIEL!!! I jumped on her lap and began talking to her.



I got so caught up in the moment that I forgot all about everyone around me. Mom helped as I introduced Macie to Ariel- she wasn't nearly as enthusiastic as I was, in fact, I think she was more bewildered than anything.


The hostess had to drag me away from Ariel to take me to our table. After helping the duke make announcements (a special honor bestowed upon me), the princesses came out one by one to greet me. Cinderella, Belle, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White, were all as amazing as I had imagined they would be.



When it finally came time to eat I was too excited to focus on food- Macie didn't have that problem...


When our main course was done I got a special surprise- everyone came to my table with a birthday cake and sang me the happy birthday song (a couple weeks early, but much appreciated.)

I dove straight into my desert and boy was it good!!!



We stayed until the wait staff gave us the polite nudge out the door. Jeff, Susan, Macie and I rode a few more rides before we decided it was time to call it a day.




On the way out of the park we walked by a water area where a bunch of kids were playing. I looked at Mom with a pleading look and after I got the approving nod ran straight for the fountains.



It didn't take long for me to get soaking wet. I continued to play in the water while Jeff, Susan, Mom, and Macie watched with smiles from the benches.

As the sun was setting I got cold and the water lost its allure. Mom wrapped me in a warm sweatshirt and a dry pair of shorts and we made our way to the car with no more interruptions, as I was too tired and worn out to protest.


We spent the following day in Huntington Beach catching up with some buddies of mine. At the park I played with Logan and had a great time!



I LOVED being back in my old neighborhood with my friends, and couldn't have been happier.



Later that afternoon Mom and I walked though our old house, cleaning up the last of our items before its sale the following week. I enjoyed running through the house, remembering all the fun times we had.




Before leaving I said good bye to my old room and took one last look at my first home.



Mom and I were both sad as we locked up the house, but we know that we always have a place to stay with our family right next door.

That night Mom made lasagna for the Jacklin's and we got to spend a relaxing night with people very special to us. In the morning we had to pack up the car and head back to San Diego. Before leaving the house I said my goodbyes to Charlie whom I was going to miss like CRAZY!!!




Jeff and Susan took us to lunch at Mc Donalds before we drove back to San Diego and while I was eating Jenny and Logan showed up to play!!!



It was hard to say goodbye to everyone, but I know that it won't be long till I come back for more fun!




On the way back to San Diego Macie and I fell asleep, exhausted from all the excitement of the last couple of days. Little did I know that tons more excitement lay ahead...

Check back soon for details about week 2!!!