Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Who would have thought...

With our move date almost two weeks away the countdown was on.

Mom wanted to make sure we got everything in before we left Ohio, so our days were packed full from sun up to sun down.

At the beginning of the week Miss Elizabeth and Mom took everyone (David, Aidan, Riley, Ashlyn, Macie, and Me) to a pumpkin patch where we got to run around and choose our very own pumpkins. Once we found the perfect pumpkin we got to cut it off the vine and wheel it (in a wheel barrow) back to the cashier- talk about authentic!!! Afterwards everyone came over to our house for a Chicken McNugget party in the back yard- check out Macie as she double fists the nuggets while the rest of us jump on the trampoline...


The following day I got to go to dance class with Ashlyn one last time. Mom bought me a new dance outfit for the occasion, and I was super excited to learn some more moves!


Ashlyn and I made beautiful ballerinas,


and when we were done I got to play with Riley Thomas ("boy Riley"). What a great day!


The neighbors (Caroline and Megan's family) had recently brought home some new puppies so we went over to their house to meet them. We even brought Hollywood and Jackson over for a little play date. They were adorable Labrador puppies and all four dogs looked like one big happy family (Macie fit right in wearing her dog jammies.)


Huge mid-week rain and thunder storms threatened our plans to go to the Delaware County Fair, but Mom and Miss Elizabeth's fascination with down-home carnivals overrode the undesirable weather. Wet, muddy, and a little cold, we rode rides, ate carnival food, and played some games.

Here I am on my FIRST ride on a Ferris Wheel!!!


The rain continued through the remainder of the week so we took advantage of the yucky weather and spent some time at the Big Red Barn.

Macie is finally big enough to do things on her own so Mom enjoys being able to be "hands off" for a while.



One of the afternoons we were at the barn Mom let Macie ride the roller coaster with me- despite Mom's fear, Macie LOVED it!



Because the movers were arriving soon, Mom and Dad decided to have Jackson sent out to Arizona earlier than we had originally planned (Dad was staying in a pet-friendly hotel). Without much notice (to me), Jackson packed up his important belongings (a ball and some food) and Aunt Hayley took him to the airport at the end of the week. I couldn't believe that Jackson got to fly on an airplane all by himself- LUCKY!!! Before he left Macie and I made sure to give him big goodbye hugs (Mom even took him out back for one last ball session.)


Jackson leaving, coupled with Dad's departure, left an empty feeling in the house and in my heart.

Nothing seemed to help my feelings of uneasiness, and with Aunt Hayley in the process of packing up her belongings to move as well, I started becoming anxious and fearful. Everything around me was changing, and I was quite happy with how things used to be. Mom became a little frustrated that I was reverting back to my days of dependency (which was over 2 years ago).

When the weekend came we were ready for some outdoor fun so Mom and Miss Elizabeth planned a outing to an apple orchard for our families.

Aunt Hayley, Holly, Mom, Macie, and I met the Grzelaks at the Bott's Family Farm.

When everyone was there we drove our cars out to the orchard where we were let loose. It was amazing; there were NO rules!!! You could climb trees, pick apples, and even eat them as you strolled up and down the paths. Macie took the first opportunity she had and started eating.


Riley Thomas got a kick out of Macie and her healthy appetite.


I was more interested in playing than eating and took full advantage of my surroundings. Mom was shocked to find that I was a natural tree climber and was very impressed by my fearlessness and agility as I made my way in, out, up, and down the trees.


Picking an apple was much more rewarding than I had expected. I was SO proud of my first apple that I refused to eat it, instead demanding that Mom bring it home and put it on the table.


While I was hunting for more apples, Macie continued to eat.



Everyone had an amazing time in the orchard- you should have seen Patrick, Aidan, and David climb the trees- they were amazing!!!



Once we were all "appled-out" we went to the General store at the farm to buy some fresh fruit and veggies as well as some home made goodies.



With treats in hand all of us went on a wagon ride around the farm. We always have a great time with the Grzelak family and look forward to many more fun experiences together.

The next day we drove out to the barn to say our goodbyes to Bugs. Macie and I enjoyed playing with the barn kitties who are so desperate for attention that they run to Macie and I instead of running away.


At the barn we got to see some sheep and goats, and Macie sang her favorite song E-I-E-I-O for the occasion.



Mom and Aunt Hayley were really impressed by my willingness to help out with Bugs. I brushed him and even helped feed him some hay.


Macie like being close to him, but had a bizarre fascination with his eyes and couldn't stop reaching for them.


I rode Bugs around the arena one last time before giving him big hugs and promising to feed him lots of carrots when he moves to AZ with Aunt Hayley early next year (keep your fingers crossed!)


Back home it was moving week which signaled that it was time to start packing up our big items. Mom took Macie's swing down and ironically she seemed to enjoy it more on the ground than attached to the swing set.


The movers came early in the week, so, in an effort to stay out of the way, Mom made sure Macie and I were at the house as little as possible. We began our "week of goodbyes" by taking around thank you cards and goodies to the people who made our life in Ohio memorable.

I took my last swim lesson with Ian and was hoping to impress him...



I think I did a pretty good job! Check it out for yourself...



Mom was SOOO proud of how far I have come in the last 2 months!!!



I am going to miss Ian a ton (Mom thinks I have a little crush on him.)

Throughout the week we continued to say our goodbyes around town, but saying goodbye to all our friends at Kroger was definitely difficult. Jeannie was one of my first friends at the Grocery Store and she has always taken good care of Macie and me (giving us balloons, hugs, etc.).


I will miss my friends Rose and Michelle a lot too, but Rose gave me a beautiful green bracelet so I will think of her when I wear it!!!


At the bakery I gave Jack one last big hug, and as always,


he spoiled me by giving me 5 rings and a great big doughnut of my choice.



Macie even got a big cookie (which Mom stole most of).

As if that wasn't difficult enough, we had to go to our last day of gymnastics class that afternoon and saying goodbye to Jordan and Morgan was equally hard. They have become my good friends over the past year and I will miss running around with them.


I feel so fortunate that I made so many incredible friends in Ohio.

The Thursday evening before we left Ohio I finally got to go to sushi with my friend Dan (over the last year and a half I have been telling Mom and Dad that I was going to Florida to eat Sushi with Dad's friend Dan). We finally had our sushi date, and can you believe it- I had one man on each arm. Dan and Casey were SO much fun to hang out with, I hope they know how much I will miss seeing them!!



The sushi at Edamame was yummy, but that is only part of the reason we always ate there- Kay was the big reason we kept coming back. She took such great care of us and we will miss her a ton.


The day before we left Ohio Macie and I stopped over to our neighbors house to give them big hugs! Caroline and Megan have been such amazing neighbors and our family has enjoyed growing up with them!


That night we went to our last open gym and Mom was amazed at all the things Macie is able to do now. I remember when we first came to gymnastics Macie was only 6 weeks old. Now here we are, one year later, and she is all over the place; the bars,



the tunnels,


but in all honestly her favorite thing is the drinking fountain- go figure...


All of my friends came to gymnastics that night, and I had a blast running around with them.

Kiera and I played our usual silly games,

and later on Riley Thomas pulled Ashlyn and I around with the hula hoop.


When Open gym was over we all sat down for stamps and pictures.



I don't know how I am going to get by without all my buddies.

That night we had a sleep over at Miss Elizabeth's house and it was awesome!!! I got to sleep in Patrick's room like a big girl, but the best part was waking up to a huge family style breakfast with all my friends in the morning.


After we were stuffed silly Macie and I said our goodbyes Dave, Patrick, David, and Aidan, and went to the zoo for one last hoorah with Miss Elizabeth, Riley, and Ashlyn.


Macie and I made sure to stop by all our favorite animals and give them proper goodbyes.

My favorite, the snakes...


And Macie's favorite, the birds...


We saved our hardest goodbyes for last and leaving Riley and Ashlyn was very difficult. All of the Grzelaks have become part of our family and I know moving away from them is devastating Mom so I am trying to be strong.



After the Zoo Aunt Hayley and Uncle Will helped us to the airport since we were traveling with tons of stuff. Thank goodness we have so many friends and family willing to help us during this tumultuous transition.


It was an emotional day for all of us, and Mom had a hard time keeping it together. Who would have ever guessed that we would have such a hard time leaving Columbus Ohio???

We dried our eyes for one last picture (though we all look sad and worn out) before saying goodbye to Aunt Hayley.


When our airplane took off from the airport the reality set in and we all hung our heads. The stress and emotion from the past 6 weeks hitting us like a ton of bricks.



We close this amazing chapter of our lives with a smile as many wonderful things happened to our family while living in Ohio; Macie was born, we had the opportunity for Aunt Hayley and her animals to live with us, we made life long friends, and got to experience beautiful Mid West seasons (at their best and worst.) When we arrive in Arizona we will be moving forward and starting anew; new home, new friends, new surroundings, but we will never forget the experiences that brought us to where we are today.

Our family has been through a lot as we have moved back and forth across the country, but we continue to feel very blessed as our family grows stronger through adversity, opportunity, and change. Thank you to everyone who has helped us along the way!